Friday, October 16, 2009

Writing Exercise #4

I am not a poet. It's as simple as that. I'm not interested in poetry, I don't like to write poetry, but I find magnetic poetry to be an amazing tool when writing.

Buy a box of magnetic poetry. If you don't feel like spending money on it, type out a list of verbs and ajdectives, occasionlly throwing in a few preposition phases and nouns, cut them out into little boxes with words on them. The first thing I like to do when using magnetic poetry, is pick out some verbs or adjectives that sound interesting to me. Today, I have picked: delirious, sweat, love, scream, and manipulate.

Now remember, you don't have to use all the words you chose. Now I'm going to make it into some sort of sentance. I came up with He sweated out her love with a scream like a winter symphony.

Maybe your story begins with this sentance. Maybe it ends, or perhaps it's in the middle. Either way, this sentence has presented me with a character, a conflict, and a mood setting.


In fact, I like this sentance so much, I'm going to go write something right now and I'll post it when it's done. Post what you wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment