Friday, October 16, 2009

Writing Exercise #3

When I look back on all the things I've written, I find that almost all my characters are similar in more than a coincidental sense. I have a hard time writing from the viewpoint of a character who is anyone other than me, and any love interests always end up resembling the same image of the perfect man in my head. Now, I will attempt to break through that and turn someone into a completely different person.

Go to Google. In the search box, type in a first name. Scroll through the images and pick one. Physically describe the person first. Then, based on what they are doing in the picture, describe their likes, dislikes, pet peeves, favorites, job, etc. Try to go into as much detail as you can. Once you're finished with that, repeat the search, only this time, chose someone with the gender opposite of what you just described. Try this for at least 3 different pictures. Compare them. Are they too similar? Are you using the same words to describe them? How are their personalities compared to yours? Don't be afraid to make one or more of them an antagonist, or to make one of them someone you wouldn't like. Feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment