Friday, October 16, 2009

Halloween is coming, which means that my netflix queue is full of anything that could even slightly resemble scary. Currently, I'm rerunning all the episodes of Dead Like Me, which is a great show, by the way, I'm so disappointed that there was only 2 seasons and that the movie they released was horrible, to say the least. Anyways, while watching this show, I find myself wanting to be able to write something, anything, that can connect to people like this show can. Of course, then my mind wonders to all the other things I've read or watched that "inspire" me to write and suddenly I feel like a Seattle hipster, sitting in a coffee shop other than Starbucks (because hipsters like the unknown), and I start writing or perusing the internet for some sort of writing tool or topic and what happens? The internet fails miserably.

I'm tired of looking for an excercise to unclog my backed up mind and finding "describe your favorite vacation". I'm tired of trying to develope a character only to be given the advice "Give them a name". That's a given, right?

Today, I decided that I am done with that. Ultimately, I would love to be a writer on the side and if I can publish one or two books I'd be happy. Even if only one person reads that book, even if only one other person in the whole wide world can relate to something I wrote. That's all I hope for, but mostly, I want to write so that everything that plagues me on a day to day basis can be purged from the rat trap in my brain and finally stop bothering me.

I can't say that I'm anyone special. I'm not an accomplished writer, I haven't taken any amazing course on the subject and I surely do not claim to know much about anything, but I decided that today I will share what I have compiled and what little I've learned since I was scribbling things down in a lined notebook in the back of the classroom. I invite you to share your thoughts, ideas, stories, advice, anything, with me. Maybe one day we'll all be famous authors with an incredible fan base and we'll all laugh about how this little blog started on a dark and rainy Friday morning in October with no real hopes or dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment